CTAN mirror redirects (was: Re: Apple/Safari being picky about redirects for CTAN mirrors)
gene at gerd-neugebauer.de
Wed May 1 17:34:22 CEST 2019
> On 01 May 2019 at 11:45 Rainer Schöpf <rainer at dante.de> wrote:
> I don't think that we should ask for programmers before we know where we want to
> go with this!
I have made some investigations. I have found the following:
- GeoIp2 is the successor of GeoIP (which ran out of support in January) and also provided by MaxMind.
- It supports IPv6.
- A free version is available as GeoLite2.
- The databases can be downloaded from MaxMind.
- There is an Apache module to read the databases.
- It lacks the ability to do something with this information, i.e. select a mirror from the list of available mirrors.
- There are APIs from MaxMind and third-parties for a large range of programming languages -- amoung them Perl and C.
- Perl would be the method of choice if the existing solution (written in Perl) should be upgraded to the current API.
- C would the method of choice for writing a new Apache mod.
I will look into the second alternative and see where this leads me to...
Nevertheless this will still leave the other problems with the mirrors untouched. I opt for using mirrors with HTTPS in the redirects only. Other protocls can be offered on the portal for manual selection. Not speaking of the other issues...
More information about the tex-live