[tex-live] teTeX: no next release
karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jun 3 00:18:10 CEST 2006
Re DVI (with or without source specials) vs. PDF in TeX Live:
1) I got a small but steady stream of complaints about people unable to
deal with the DVI files for whatever reason -- using a web browser on
the hierarchy, don't have the fonts, whatever. No complaints as of
now about PDF.
2) In these days of routine 50-100gb disks, I'm not impressed by the
space argument. GNU/Linux distributions can choose what collections
to include and what to leave out, which will have a far greater
impact than PDF vs. DVI. I wouldn't expect full TL to go on Linux
distribution discs in the first place (but whatever).
3) Most importantly, CTAN has PDF. Therefore all I have to do for TL is
copy the PDF. This has been a significant time savings -- creating
the doc dvi was one of the most fragile parts of the CTAN->TL
4) So, as long as I'm doing the bulk of the TL updates, TL will continue
to have PDF.
5) Of course, anyone is free to make dvi's, with or without source
specials, if they wish, for redistribution or whatever. If it's done
in a timely and systematic way, personally I would be happy to
include the dvi's on the TC DVD, or in TL, or whatever makes sense,
we can figure it out if it comes to pass. But I can't take on the
additional job of creating them.
More information about the tex-live